Friday, May 06, 2005

Justa little prick Libby!

Today me and Mom locked Libby up so she's be easy to catch with plans of giving her her boosters for her 3 in 1, and her West Nile vaccine. Not knowing how she was going to react because it would be two of us ganging up on her instead of just me rubbing or petting her, we were pretty much ready for a pissed off donkey, and possibly problems.

Instead, armed with two syringes, and a bucket with some hay pellets in it, I was able to do them with only a little side stepping and dancing around.

We stood her up next to a fence so she was "walled in", though one good kick and I'm sure I would have moved out of her way and effective "released" her from the restraining fence. This worked with a pony we had, so figured it was worth a shot with her. It klept her from moving away, and she wasn't crazy about moving towards the mean lady with the needles.

The first thing I noticed is her skin is tight- pinching up a little was hard, but I finaly found a bit I could get on her neck. The needle slid right in, and Libby kept munching away. The only problem was it went right through and I had to pull out and start over. This time she got a little upset, but just took one step back and stopped. That one was done.

The next one she knew what was up, and I had to go quickly, but be sneaky. Lots of petting, scratching and rubbing, and playing with her chin and ears- she likes that. Got the second one done much quicker once it was in the skin.

Of course the really funny thing is that I didn't realize until w were done that Mom has never really pet her or rubbed her, or even been able to get a good look at her. She asked me the other day if Libby's ears have always been two-toned or if that is new since she is really shedding out now. I looked at her like she was crazy when she said that- of course they've always been two-toned! The one thing that has been changing a lot is her zippers are darker, and she has this gorgeous multicolored mottling all over her lower legs- almost a mix of pink, grey, and peach.

No comments: